Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Response Paper 4: Replacing rubbish music with appropriate music Due: March 5

For this week, choose a game where you think the music sucks or does not match the gameplay. (If possible and you know Camtasia or Premier, get 5 minutes of footage of yourself playing the game with the sound on.) Replace the music with appropriate instrumental music (doesn't necessarily have to be classical music but must be instrumental).

In a 2-3 page response paper and a CD-R with a few minutes of the game's original music and your selection of music, tell me the following:
  1. The title of your game and about its gameplay
  2. Describe the original music and tell me why it sucked
  3. The source and title (if there is one) of your musical selection
  4. Why your selection better suits the game's scene/gameplay

6 comments:

Kevin O'Toole said...

Could we get some examples of games to use here?

I'm finding it pretty hard to come up with any games that off the top of my head had really bad audio.

Elvwyr said...

Hi Kevin,

Hmm you might try listening to the music that accompanies different levels in Unreal Tournament and look at the flash games that are out there. If I think of anymore I will comment again.

Adam McKiller said...

How would one find the music to a video game? If the game had crappy music, it wouldn't be that easy to find it's soundtrack.

Dan Jorquera said...

For anyone trying to figure out how to get audio from a game onto a CD...

For PC games, download Audacity, and change the recording device to WaveOut Mix (in Preferences). Now you can record without a microphone or mic interference. :)

Lauren Bognanni said...

I'm almost done this assignment. I had one question regarding the source of the replacement music. I found something really appropriate on a royalty free sight that allows you to preview the song. However to use the entire song, without audio stamps, you must purchase the song.

I was wondering if for this assignment and educational purposes if I can just record the song with Camtasia as my sample? We can all ignore the fact that I'm supposed to pay for it because it's for school, right?

-Lauren

Elvwyr said...

Adam I just require you to use your recording device to record the sound while you're playing the game. You don't need the game's soundtrack for this. Thanks Dan for your advice. Lauren what you're suggesting is fine. As long as we're not distributing it, we're kosher.